Gas Safety Policies
As a landlord you have to ensure that every properties has agas safety inspection every year. It is the landlord’s responsibility for thesafety of the tenants at your property. Your legal duties apply to a wide range of accommodation occupied undera lease or license however not limited to:
· Residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housingassociations, private sector landlords, co-operatives, hostels.
· Rooms, let in bed-sit accommodation, private households and hotels.
The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998outline the duties of landlords to ensure gas appliances, fittings andchimneys/flues provided for tenants are safe.
There are main responsibilities that every property that isequipped with gas appliances should have:
· Gas safety checks: An annual gas safety checkmust be carried out on each gas appliance. It is a legal requirement for thereto be an annual gas check by a registered engineer.
· Whenthere has been a gas inspection it is important to keep a record of it
· The gas certificate must be updated every yearand all tenants must be informed that a gas safety inspection has been put inplace.